Coy Stops Bush at Sportfight 27

By Mike Whitman Mar 12, 2010
Nick Braker File Photo: Mike Fridley/

GRAND RONDE, Ore. -- In a “champion vs. champion” main event, Sportfight welterweight titleholder Nathan Coy destroyed lightweight champ Travis Bush in just 16 seconds, retaining his belt at Sportfight XXVII “Wild Card” at Spirit Mountain Casino.

As the bout began, each fighter rushed the other and began throwing heavy leather. It was Coy who got the better of the exchange, grabbing a Thai plum and delivering a wicked knee to Bush’s temple, dropping the blown-up lightweight champion to the canvas. From there it was academic, as Coy rained down shots from side control, forcing a referee stoppage.

The decision was not without controversy, however, as Bush claimed that Coy had hit him low prior to landing the devastating knee. Coy dismissed the claim.

“It was a good knee to the head is what it was,” said the welterweight champion. “I really want to thank the people who come out and support me. We can do it again anytime. I’m willing to fight anytime any place, and I’ll bring it.”

In a bantamweight contest, EliteXC and Icon Sport veteran Tyson Nam defeated an overmatched Nick Honstein by second-round TKO. Nam landed crisp strikes in the standup and scored several takedowns in round one. The second round brought more of the same, as Nam punished Honstein with brutal ground-and-pound before the referee intervened.

Undefeated newcomer Casey Manrique improved his record to 2-0 by submitting local favorite Tyson Jeffries. After being dropped to the canvas with a sharp right hand, Manrique bounced back nearly instantaneously, sweeping Jeffries and rolling to top position. From there, he locked up a neat arm-triangle, forcing Jeffries to tap out at 1:56 into the first round.

“I thought that I would have time to move (and avoid the takedown), but I didn’t. I don’t like to be on the ground, but I can finish stuff there,” said Manrique.

In the first professional bout of the night, Roy Bradshaw defeated IFL veteran Kevin Rhoades in controversial fashion. Bradshaw scored a big takedown early in the first round, but relinquished top position after a failed guillotine attempt. Despite suffering a cut over his left eye, Rhoades maintained control of the round until he was struck by a low blow from the clinch. After recovering, however, he was caught in a tight guillotine and forced to submit with only two seconds remaining in the first frame.

Nick Braker overcame a significant size disadvantage to topple mammoth Team Quest heavyweight Will Walden. Braker surged forward in the first round, trying to close the gap and neutralize Walden’s reach advantage. He managed to secure a takedown, but was nearly submitted by a kimura before scrambling to top position. In the second round, both fighters appeared gassed, trading inaccurate haymakers until Breaker executed a head-inside single-leg and finished the fight with an arm-triangle choke.

In the amateur bouts:

Chris DeBord def. Ryan Portue -- KO (Punch) 0:27 R1
Thomas Dunham def. Jerad Enger -- Unanimous Decision
Patrick Wittington def. Damien Martindale -- Submission (Triangle Choke) 0:57 R1
Denny Linton def. Damon Wood -- Unanimous Decision
Robby Schepps def. Vince Barner -- Unanimous Decision
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>