Former Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight champion Luke Rockhold, a teammate of Khabib Nurmagomedov, believes that Conor McGregor shouldn’t be given an immediate rematch based on his performance last Saturday.
Khabib and McGregor met last Saturday night at UFC 229 in what is speculated to be a record-breaking pay-per-view card by the UFC. Nurmagomedov’s wrestling proved too good for the Irishman, who was taken down with relative ease and controlled throughout the fight before being caught in a fourth-round neck crank.
After the fight, the champion jumped into the crowd to confront McGregor’s teammate, Bellator MMA fighter Dillon Danis who had been antagonizing him from cageside.
Rockhold -- who was cageside on Saturday night as well in support of his team mate -- said he wasn’t a fan of the things McGregor did in the lead up to the fight, particularly the bus attack back in April when McGregor and a large group of men attacked a bus Khabib and other UFC were on.
“I think some things aren’t for fight promotion,” Rockhold said to TMZ Sports. “Conor traveled across the world with a gang of people and attacked and broke into an arena to attack Khabib with weapons.
“So, I think people are over-stepping their boundaries and attacking Khabib on this front,” Rockhold added. “He jumped a cage. One of Conor’s teammates was antagonizing him and yelling at him after a fight, which was, you know … you beat your guy, it’s pretty much time to shut your mouth.”
Rockhold also said that based McGregor’s performance on Saturday night the Irishman shouldn’t be given an immediate rematch as it was a very one sided fight.
“The funny thing … a rematch is usually, they’re close fights,” Rockhold said. “It wasn’t really a close fight. If people wanna see it, if the UFC wants to pay for it, I know Khabib will enjoy a record breaking number, like I said before. It’s gotta be record breaking numbers if he wants a rematch.”