Megan Anderson Vanquishes Charmaine Tweet, Claims Interim Invicta Featherweight Title

By Brian Knapp Jan 14, 2017

Megan Anderson stepped into the void left by the uncertainty surrounding the immediate future of Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino.

The promising Australian waded through adversity to stop Charmaine Tweet with second-round punches and a head kick, as she claimed the interim featherweight crown in the Invicta Fighting Championships 21 headliner on Saturday at the Scottish Rite Temple in Kansas City, Missouri. Anderson (8-2) closed the show 2:05 into Round 2.

Tweet (9-6) staggered and bloodied the Glory MMA and Fitness export in a tense opening stanza. Anderson recovered, responded and rattled the Canadian with a series of clubbing right hands that foreshadowed what was to come. For Tweet, it went downhill from there. Anderson punched into the clinch in the second round, connected with a fight-altering body kick and unleashed with a torrent of punches that had Tweet’s nose leaking like a sieve. A head kick led Tweet to turn her back and prompted the referee to act. Blood poured onto the canvas.

In the bantamweight co-main event, Raquel Pa’aluhi submitted Cage Warriors Fighting Championship titleholder Pannie Kianzad with a first-round rear-naked choke. Kianzad (8-2) bowed out 3:40 into Round 1, as she suffered her second defeat in as many appearances.

Pa’aluhi (6-5) struck for a takedown inside the first minute, passed smoothly to side control and softened the Swede with ground-and-pound. The situation only worsened for Kianzad. Pa’aluhi advanced to the back, set her hooks and ultimately slid her arms in place for the choke, the tapout becoming a formality.

The 26-year-old Pa’aluhi has won four of her last five fights.

Meanwhile, MMA Gold Fight Team prospect Aspen Ladd remained unbeaten with a unanimous decision over Cage Fury Fighting Championships alum Sijara Eubanks in a three-round bantamweight showcase. Ladd (5-0) swept the cards with 30-27, 30-27 and 29-28 scores from the judges.

The 21-year-old Ladd walked down the Team Lloyd Irvin representative, controlled the center of the cage and fought in three- and four-punch bursts, often behind a stinging jab. Eubanks (2-2) had her moments -- she executed a takedown in the first round and scrambled into top position in the third -- but could match neither the pace nor the volume her opponent brought to the table.

In other action, Leah Letson (4-1) knocked out Ultimate Fighting Championship veteran Elizabeth Phillips (5-5) with a head kick 1:18 into the first round of their matchup at 145 pounds; Andrea Lee (5-2) wrecked Jenny Liou (6-5) with a left hook to the liver and subsequent ground strikes 74 seconds into the first round of their flyweight encounter; Amy Cadwell Montenegro (8-2) took a unanimous decision from Celine Haga (10-14) in a three-round battle at 115 pounds, earning 29-28 marks from all three judges; and Christine Ferea (1-0) brought down Rachael Ostovich (3-3) with a head kick and follow-up punches 1:29 into the third round of their flyweight affair.


Comments powered by Disqus
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>